Wood is a raw material used to make things such as wood woads, quarterstaffs, cudgels, spellstaffs and totems. It can be collected by typing gather wood. Adding the suffix staff searches for pieces of wood suitable to make spellstaffs e.g. gather wood staff.
You gather up a wooden branch. A wooden branch looks like it would make a good spellstaff. You receive 60 experience.
As a Material type
Wood is also a material type of some items. It is the first type of material that a druid learns to carve on and can be searched for in containers, donation rooms, storage lockers and shops by adding the search switch -material wood.
As a raw material
Examples of objects collected using the gather wood command. Note: raw wood is temporary and will timeout.
Item: 'branch wood firewood' Weight: 3 Size: 5'10" Type: OTHER Composition: WOOD Object is: Estimated cost: 3 This item is in almost new condition. A wooden branch looks like it would make a good spellstaff.
Wood can also be used to make fires using the firestarting starting skill.
- start the fire: start fire wood
- Add fuel to fire to keep in burning: put wood campfire
It is important not to add too much fuel to the fire too quickly or it won't catch light. Starting a fire can be used to access the area A burned out forest.
Different types of wood suit woodcrafted items differently. You can see what the affinity of a type of wood is with the wood check command. The output will look something like:
>wood check bran< ------------------------------------------------------------------------- A sassafras branch can be crafted into... a club a walking cane a quarterstaff a blowgun a handle a fishing pole It is aromatic. Its fragrance will help relax the mind. FYI, sassafras is a less common variety of wood and is highly sought after.
Note the last two lines.
Different species of wood have affinities to different stats when crafted.
- Check: It is aromatic. Its fragrance will help relax the mind.
- Effect: Items crafted with Aromatic wood will have MANA_REGEN
- Check: It is bitter and astringent. Its fragrance will help sharpen perception.
- Effect: Items crafted with Bitter wood have WIS, MANA_REGEN, and CAST_ABILITY
- Check: It is dense and heavy. It will be good for crafting shields and melee weapons.
- Effect: Weapons, grips, handles, and hafts crafted with Dense wood will have higher damage and hitroll. Shields crafted will have higher AC
- Check: It is flexible. It will be good for crafting bows and crossbows.
- Effect: Ranged weapons created with Flexible wood will have better damage. Favors DEX and MOV_REGEN stats. Fishing poles have higher capacity
- Check: It is resinous. Its fragrance will help invigorate the body.
- Effect: Items crafted with Resinous wood will have HP_REGEN, MOV_REGEN, CON, or STR
- Check: It is rotten. It will be difficult to work into a finished product, but the final result may be unique and interesting
- Effect: Items crafted with Rotten wood will have random secondary stats, has a small chance to roll as a unique
- Check: It is soft and easily worked. It will be decent for making almost anything
- Effect: More likely to succeed in craft. (Might be easier to MASTERCRAFT, needs confirmation)
- Check: It is very rigid. It would make excellent melee weapons and shields, with exotic properties.
- Effect: Weapons, grips, handles, and hafts crafted with Rigid wood will have higher damage and damroll. Shields crafted will have higher AC. Random secondary stats
- Check: It is sweet-smelling. Its fragrance will help focus the mind.
- Effect: Items crafted with Sweet wood will have INT and WIS
- Check: It has been warped and polished by exposure to water.
- Effect: Items crafted with Sweet wood will have WIS and AGE
|Acacia||Bitter||Common||Found in jungles|
|Bloodwood||Rigid||Less Common||Found in jungles|
|Boxwood||Flexible||Less Common||Found in jungles|
|Cocobolo||Rigid||Less Common||Mainland jungles|
|Holly||Bitter||Less Common||Hill terrain (e.g., Ash Mountain Foothills)|
|Madrone||Dense||Less Common||Mainland jungles|
|Pink Ivory||Rigid||Less Common|
|Torchwood||Resinous||Less Common||Unique to Kordan, ideal for handles|
|Zebrawood||Rigid||Less Common||Mainland jungles|